Thursday, April 3, 2014

Well, let's try this AGAIN! LOL - an update

I had the best of intentions. Honest, I really did. I even had a few draft blog posts waiting to be uploaded that I put aside and forgot about. Ugh! I've posted some of them just now since they were getting REALLY lonely sitting there with no one to read them. Somehow, I just kept on getting sidetracked and the time got away from me. Sometimes, my creative mind runs away with me and I have SO many things that I want to make that I end up with TOO many things "in progress" and nothing gets finished. Life sometimes gets in the way of creativity too - life is funny that way isn't it?! LOL In the Spring last year I volunteered to organize a Fall/Christmas Craft Fair for the PAC (Parent Advisory Committee) at my son's school. I've participated in craft fairs since 1995 and I've helped organize a few along the way with some other craft business friends of mine but this is really mostly on my shoulders since no one else has done this before (and I'm a bit of a control freak - but in a good way!) The fair was supposed to happen last year but we only meet once a month and it was hard to get the info I needed on time. So, I suggested that we move the craft fair to this October 2014 and I'm really glad I did because shortly after that I was selected for jury duty! For 5 weeks I was back and forth to the courthouse during the week - and sequestered for 48 hours at the end. During the trial my Father-in-law passed away too, so it was a stressful time all around. So, before I knew it, another year had passed! I really need to make better use of "my time," and I use that term very loosely since "my time" seems to always revolve around everyone else's schedule and gets interrupted numerous times in the course of a day. That's why I'm usually up until 1:00 am working so I can get some uninterrupted "my time." At any rate, here I go "again" with another attempt at posting to my blog more often.

I will have to do some new "after" photos of my studio space. I did actually get it cleaned up from the before pics but it never stays that way for long (I do work in there after all)! I've changed a few things around in there too so it doesn't look exactly the same. Who am I kidding - I'm a Gemini, so it's a given that my studio is constantly changing anyway ! LOL Sometimes it changes because I needed to make room for something or I took something out, but more often than not it's because I found a better way to organize my stuff.

Being the perpetual organizer that I am, I decided last year that I would catalogue all of my stamp images onto paper so I could easily see exactly what I have without having to pull each set or stamp out to look at it.  If I could I'd display my sets face out on a shelf but unfortunately, I DON'T have the room in my studio to do that, so a binder of the actual stamped images is the next best thing. The majority of the stamps I own are Stampin' Up sets (178 sets of them), so it took a while to do those ones. I already had them listed by name in a computer database so it went fairly quickly, until I thought I'd lost a set. I spent almost a week looking for that "lost" set.....only to eventually discover that it wasn't actually a Stampin' Up set but a single large stamp from another company with the same name that I had put on the wrong list! And believe it or not, it was on a shelf directly in front of me at my stamping table the whole time!  Ugh! Well, at least I didn't really lose anything - except for my MIND! Anyway, at this point I've done most of my other sets too (and fortunately there aren't as many of those - but I'm working on it!) One of the good things about this exercise was that it reacquainted me with all of the wonderful images that I own. My plan is to start doing a series of projects featuring some of my favourite images from Stampin' Up retired sets. I've also started expanding on my existing stamp database by list things about the images in each set. This way I can search it more easily to find what I'm looking for quicker. I did that years ago with all of my cross stitch magazines/patterns and it works wonderfully. For example, if I need, say, a frog image, then I just type in the word frog and my database will tell me if I have any frog images and what set(s) they are in. So, that's the plan.

Happy Crafting!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment